The second build of AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) custom ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean for T-Mobile’s variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number T999 has recently been released. Aside from the fact that it brings the latest Android version, it also comes with cool features many Android users want to see in their devices. AOKP ROMs are often based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) firmware stuffed with stock features, bug fixes and performance boosters. Users who are willing to take the risk just to know what this ROM brings can proceed at their own risk. We have crafted a few reminders and requirements for you so everything will work like a charm.
- Never forget to backup all your important data before you flash Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean AOKP Build 2 ROM in your device just to keep them safe.
- This is an unofficial ROM. Once installed, you device’s warranty will be considered void. There are also some risks that you might damage or brick your device so be extra careful.
- This custom ROM was built for Samsung Galaxy S3 under T-Mobile or those that have model number T999. Please check the model number of your phone by going to Settings > About phone.
- This guide is intended for reference purposes only, you may or may not follow the guide we provide below.
- Check that your Galaxy S3 T999 has at least 70% battery. That should be enough to complete the flashing of this ROM. If you can, it is most recommended you fully-charge your phone before anything else.
- Install necessary drivers if you haven’t already. This is to make sure your phone can be detected properly by your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging in your phone.
- Your device should be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
Step-by-step Guide to Flashing Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean AOKP Build 2 ROM
- Connect your phone to your computer using the original USB cable. Check if it is properly detected by your computer by going to “My Computer.” If you can find your device, try to browse to any directories in it. If you can do so, then there is a good connection between your device and your computer. Otherwise, re-install drivers.
- Download AOKP Build 2 ROM directly into the root directory of your phone’s internal memory. [LINK]
- Download Google Apps into the same directory as with the custom ROM. [LINK]
- If you are done downloading those two packages, turn your device OFF.
- Boot your phone into Recovery Mode: press and hold VOLUME UP, HOME and POWER buttons simultaneously until the screen flashes.
- Make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. This is a fail-safe in case everything gets corrupted during the process. You can just restore your current ROM via ClockworkMod Recovery. To do so, choose Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main menu after.
- Perform a full data wipe: Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes. Return to the main menu after wiping data.
- You also need to wipe Dalvik cache: Wipe Cache Partition > Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Start flashing AOKP custom ROM: Install zip from SD Card > Choose zip from SD Card. You’ll automatically be brought by ClockworkMod Recovery to the root directory of your device’s internal memory. All you need to do is find the zipped file (aokp_d2tmo_jb-mr1_build-2.zip) you downloaded a while back. Wait until the flashing is done. You will be brought back to the main menu.
- Follow step #9 but choose the zipped Google Apps (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip) instead of the ROM. Wait until the flashing is done and that you are brought back to the main menu.
- Choose Reboot System Now option.
The entire process may take several minutes to complete. Be patient, wait and never interrupt during the flashing. The first reboot may take a minute but wait until your device becomes active before using it.