This content will help you set up and activate your new iPhone 6 smartphone to make it ready to use. There are several options on how to activate your iPhone. You can do it over a Wi-Fi network or over your carrier's cellular network. In case neither of these options are available, then you can activate your iPhone 6 by connecting it to a computer and use iTunes instead.
The first time you turn on your new iPhone, you will be prompted with the Setup Assistant. Simply follow the steps to complete the setup process on your device.
For more queries on setup information for your new iPhone 6, contacting your phone carrier is highly recommended.
If you're decided to proceed with the activation and setup process by yourself, then you may refer to this tutorial.
Activate iPhone 6 with a Wi-Fi network
To activate over a Wi-Fi, simply hold the On/Off button to turn your iPhone 6 ON, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
Activate iPhone 6 using iTunesIf you opt to activate your iPhone 6 over iTunes, you have to download and install the latest version of iTunes to your computer. You may need to provide your Apple ID in this case. And when everything is set, just connect your iPhone 6 to your computer and iTunes will walk you through the activation process, as well as sync your video, bookmarks, video files and contacts.
In this procedure, you will need a computer (Mac or PC with a USB 2.0, or 3.0 port) and any of these operating systems (OS X version 10.6.8 or later), Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.
If everything is ready, then you may now proceed with the following procedures:
- Connect your iPhone 6 to the computer. Use the Lightning to USB cable provided with your iPhone device. On each device, you will be prompted to verify "Trust" of the other device.
- Connect your iPhone 6 to Wi-Fi. You will know if your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi or not by looking at the wireless network indicator on top of the screen. Be sure it's connected to a wireless network before you proceed.
- Configure Wi-Fi settings. To configure Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone 6, go to Settings, then select any of the following options to configure.
- Choose a network. Tap to select any of the available Wi-Fi network in range and enter the password, if prompted.
- Ask to join networks. When you turn on Ask to Join Networks, you will be prompted/notified when a Wi-Fi network is available. If you don't want this option, then you will need to manually join a network when the previous network you used is not available.
- Forget a network. Tap next to the previous network you joined, then tap on Forget this Network.
- Join a closed Wi-Fi network. You can also join a closed network if you want. Just tap Other, then enter the name of the closed network you want to join. You must know the network name, security type, and password to use this network.
You can also configure the settings for a Wi-Fi network on your iPhone 6. To do so, tap next to a network, then adjust any of the available options such as setting an HTTP proxy, defining static network settings, turning on BootP, or even renewing the DHCP server settings. You may have to contact your network carrier first, to verify the correct network settings/information for your device.
If you want, you can also set up your own Wi-Fi network to use on your new iPhone 6 device.