- An application has gone rogue causing inconsistencies.
- Temporary phone problem; might be a hardware or software glitch.
- Phone has gone too hot.
- Interrupted power supply due to a problem in the battery.
- Firmware bug.
#2. Disable or uninstall a problem application. There is an advantage in knowing when the problem started because you would also know if an installation triggered it. There are always apps from the Play Store that aren't really compatible with the phone. If you think the problem manifested after installing a specific app, try disabling or uninstalling it to make sure if it is indeed the cause.
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Choose Settings, then Application Manager.
- Swipe to left twice to choose All tab.
- Scroll to and tap the suspected application.
- Tap Force Close first and observe if the problem happens again.
- Tap Disable and observe.
- Tap Clear Data and Clear Cache, then Uninstall if you found out it is the cause of the problem.
- Turn the phone off for a few minutes to cool it off.
- Turn the phone on when the temperature returns to normal.
- From the Home screen, press and hold the Home button to display recently used apps.
- Swipe each app to either side to close them.
- Now, observe the phone to see if it still reboots / shuts down randomly.
- If it does, boot the phone to Safe Mode and observe again.
#4. Update the phone. Perhaps the problem is caused by a bug in the phone's firmware. If there is an available update, don't hesitate to download it and install. If the problem was fixed after doing so, then that confirms the existence of a bug, otherwise, continue troubleshooting.
#5. Factory reset. After doing all the procedures above and the problem remains, it's time you brought the phone back to its original setting. But before that, make sure you back everything up that you don't want to lose. Remember that factory reset will erase all data and caches.
#6. Bring the phone to a Verizon Wireless corporate store. If all else fail, there's no other option left but to bring the phone to the store (find Verizon store near you) to have it checked by Verizon technician for proper hands-on evaluation. If the phone is beyond economical repair, you may claim a warranty.