Samsung has just released the latest Jelly Bean official firmware update for Galaxy S3 I9305 models. This update will serve as both a bug fix and regular maintenance update. It is now available for download from Samsung KIES. The official Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4 Firmware update for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305 variants can be installed using ten simple steps that are subsequently expounded in this page.
Before you begin with the installation process, be sure to read on these important reminders.
- After flashing the official firmware, you will lose the custom ROM installed on the device, as it will be replaced by the official stock ROM. Custom ROMs would include the CM10, AOKP or Paranoid Android.
- Besides custom ROMs, any existing custom recovery like the TWRP Recovery and ClockworkMod Recovery will also be lost.
- Once the firmware is installed, your Samsung GS3 will no longer be considered a rooted device.
- There will be no increase on binary counter after installing or flashing of this firmware update by Samsung.
- Be sure to extract downloaded archive only once. Must-have files from the extracted zip files necessary for the firmware flashing include those with .tar.md5 extensions. These files should be flashed through the PDA section.
In order to get started, you have to download both zip files of ODIN 3.07 and I9305XXBMA4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. ODIN is a tool used to flash the stock 4.1.2 firmware in the Galaxy S3 I9305 device. Again, flashing the stock firmware would also mean losing all your existing applications and personal settings in the smartphone. In this case, you may need to backup the files you want to restore after the firmware installation.
- If you are using Windows XP or lower versions, be sure to run the ODIN file as Administrator by doing a right-click on the .exe file and then click on ‘Run as administrator’ from the menu options.
- If you are prompted with “MD5 hash value is invalid” message from ODIN, then you have to re-download the firmware.
- While this official firmware update does not erase any system data, it is highly recommended that you backup all the original files so you can recover them easily.
- Also, note that this guide is only applicable and be used only for Galaxy S3 I9305 models. To ensure you have the right device to update, check the Settings and About Phone details first.
- At least 80 percent power on the device to avoid installation deterrence and errors.
- EFS backup folder to store IMEI number and other necessary information.
- Installed USB Driver for Galaxy S3 in your PC
- Enabled USB Debugging to allow transfer of files from phone to PC (vice-versa)
- Cross platform tool Heimdall for Linux OS or Mac OS users to flash the firmware update. ODIN tool only works with Windows OS.
Now that you’ve read all the important reminders and prerequisites, you may now start updating your Galaxy S3 I9305 to XXBMA4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Extract your downloaded Firmware zip file to get the .tar file and other files necessary.
2. Extract the ODIN zip file to get Odin3 v3.07 executable (.exe) file.
3. Turn off your smartphone. To confirm the device is switch off, wait for the 5-6 seconds vibration.
4. Press and Hold the Volume Down, Home and Power Button to turn your smartphone into Download Mode. Do this until you see the Samsung Galaxy logo prompting on the screen. Give it a few seconds to activate in download mode.
5. Run ODIN3 V3.07.exe (executable file) as Administrator so you can use Admin privileges to complete the download process.
6. Connect your smartphone to your PC with a USB cable. You will then be prompted with an ODIN message box with message saying, “Added!”. If you are not seeing the same message, try using another USB port on your PC. If it still won’t work, then you have to reinstall the driver to proceed to the next step. Once you have successfully added your device, a COM port with a number in yellow will show up.
7. Select the extracted files (see Step 1) from the I9305XXBMA4 folder using the following buttons:
a. PDA Button - Click the PDA button and select the extracted .tar file that contains *code* on its name.
b. Phone Button - Click the Phone button and select the extracted file with *modem* on its name (if there’s any, else proceed).
c. CSC Button - Click the CSC button and select the extracted file with *csc* on its name (if there’s any, else proceed).
d. PIT Button - Click the PIT button and select the file with .pit extension. This is only applicable if you get the file while extracting in step 1.
8. Be sure to put a check on both the Auto Reboot and F. ResetTime boxes in the ODIN window. Do the same on the Re-Partition checkbox, if you are using a file with .pit extension. (refer to step 7-d).
9. Be sure steps 7 and 8 are all done correctly. If everything is good, then you may now hit the Start Button to begin flashing.
10. Wait until flashing is completed. Your smartphone will automatically reboot when flashing is all done. After the reboot, you will be prompted with a “PASS” message with green background in the left-most box at the uppermost portion of the ODIN tool window.
It is a hint for you to detach your smartphone from your PC by unplugging the USB cable.
After doing all these steps, you should be having an updated Galaxy S3 I9305, which is now running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean build I9305XXBMA4. To verify firmware update, check your smartphone Settings and About Phone details.