A few weeks after Samsung Galaxy S4 was released, users started reported problems and errors. One of them occurs when a certain system service fails to start. The message, “Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped. Please try again.” appears in a little pop-up window.
When this problem occurs, Galaxy S4 becomes incredibly slow with random freezes, lags and sometimes reboots. The thing is, this error is a vague one; the com.google.process.gapps process does not pertain to just one app or service. In fact, it is used by most, if not all, of Google Apps and even by Android system. Therefore, we couldn’t possibly pinpoint which app or service is causing this problem. But the thing is, you don’t need to look any further. We just need you to have a little patience to do repetitive procedures in checking Google Apps one by one.
Here are things you can do that could possibly fix this problem.
Re-Setup Google AccountTo be able to do this, you will need to delete your Google account so you need to backup everything you don’t want to lose. If you’re ready to remove your account, follow the steps below:
- From the Home screen, touch Menu.
- Tap Settings, then touch Accounts tab.
- Tap Google and touch your account.
- Touch Remove Account and confirm your action.
- Reboot your device.
- Once the phone is up and action, tap Menu from the home screen again.
- Choose Settings, then tap Accounts tab.
- Touch Add Account, then choose Google.
- To setup your account again, tap Existing.
- Enter necessary credentials.
But just in case you don’t want this kind of hassle, you can try the ones below.
Clear Cache Of Google AppsThe problem is often caused by inconsistencies in data saved in the phone. It is, therefore, logical to clear data and cache saved in your phone and you want to do that for Chrome, Play Store, Gmail and Calendar. These four apps are the most common culprits why the problem replicates. Here’s how you clear their data and cache on Galaxy S4.
- Tap the Menu key from the Home screen.
- Choose Settings.
- Tap More tab.
- Touch Application Manager, then choose All tab.
- Find Chrome and tap on it to open app manager page.
- Tap Clear Data, then Clear Cache.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 for other apps.