Updating your Galaxy Fame to the latest available firmware version is always recommended. In some cases, official firmware can also be used to unroot or unbrick your Galaxy handset if brick has occurred due to software issue. The S6810PXXAMAA Jelly Bean update acts more like a bug fix as well as regular maintenance update.
This guide is intended only for owners of Galaxy Fame S6810P variants who seek support in installing the new official firmware XXAMAA Android 4.1.2 update on their handsets.
Referring to this guide is optional and therefore, we understand that you try this at your own risk. Thus, neither sebertech nor the author of this content will be held liable for any negative outcome or issue that may arise during or after the installation process. Although it is very unlikely for your handset to get busted, for as long as you follow the steps exactly as elaborated in this page.
IMPORTANT things to note before you begin:
Flashing the stock 4.1.2 firmware in your Galaxy S6810P handset may erase your existing apps and personal settings. Custom ROM such as CM10, Paranoid Android or AOKP will be replaced by the official stock ROM. Custom Recovery such as ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery will also be replaced by stock recovery after flashing. In this regard, back up all your files before you install the new official firmware to recover them easily when necessary.
Spare at least 80 percent battery power on your device to avoid any interruption in the later process, so as to dodge any potential issue like a hard brick on your device due to installation deterrence.
Back up EFS folder to save important data including IMEI number.
Install USB Driver for Galaxy Fame in your computer.
Enable USB Debugging to allow file transfer between your handset and computer.
Windows OS needs ODIN utility for the installation to get done while Linux OS like Ubuntu would require a platform tool Heimdall in order to flash this new firmware.
START INSTALL OFFICIAL FIRMWARE UPDATE:
1. Download zip files for the official firmware to install – Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean S6810P XXAMAA for Galaxy Fame S68109.zip, and ODIN 3.07 tool.
2. Extract the firmware zip file to get the .tar file in it. The folder may also contain some other files but the must-have for the installation process is the one with the .tar extension.
3. Extract the ODIN zip file to get the executable file ODIN3 v3.07.exe. Folder may also contain other files in it. NOTE: Be sure to extract the downloaded zip files (firmware and ODIN) only ONCE.
4. Turn off your smartphone and wait around 5 to 6 seconds for it to vibrate. Vibration confirms the device is completely turned off.
5. Press and hold the Volume Down, Power and Home buttons to put your Galaxy Fame in Download Mode. Keep pressing those keys simultaneously until the Samsung logo shows up in the main screen. It will take a few seconds for your handset to be in download mode.
6. Run ODIN utility (ODIN3.v3.exe) as an Administrator to get Admin privileges, necessary to complete the installation process smoothly. In order to run as Administrator, you have to right click on ODIN executable file (.exe) and click on “Run as Administrator” option from the context menu. This won’t be necessary with Windows XP though.
7. Once ODIN utility is active, connect your Galaxy Fame to your computer using a USB cable. You will then be prompted with an ODIN message saying “Added!” If you’re not seeing this message, try to use a different USB port in your PC. If it still won’t work, reinstall the driver. The “Added!” message implies that you are good to go to the next step. Another indication for you to proceed to the next step is the COM port with a number in Yellow (this means both devices are successfully tied).
8. Select the following files from the extracted S6810P XXAMAA folder and ODIN:
a.) .tar with *code* on its name - to select this file, click the PDA button
b.) file with *modem* on its name - to select this file, click the Phone button
c.) file with *csc* on its name - to select this file, click the CSC button
d.) file with .pit extension - to select this file, click the PIT button
NOTE: if modem, csc, and pit files are not present in either folder, just proceed to the next step.
9. Go to the ODIN window and be sure to put a check on the Auto Reboot and F. Reset checkboxes. Also put a check on the Re-Partition checkbox, if you are using a .pit file.
10. Verify steps 8 and 9 are correctly done. If everything is fine, then hit the START button. This will initiate the flashing process.
11. Wait until the flashing is finished. Your handset will automatically reboot after flashing.
12. After reboot, a “PASS” message with green background will show up in the ODIN window. You can find it at the left-most box at the uppermost portion of the ODIN screen. It is an indication that you’ve completed the firmware installation.
13. Disconnect your phone from the computer by unplugging the USB cable on both ends.
That’s it! You’re done installing the official firmware on your smartphone. To verify firmware update, check your phone Settings –> About Phone details.
The XXAMAA Android 4.1.2 official firmware update for Galaxy Fame S6810P is also made available in Netherlands and other supported countries via Samsung KIES.