Highlighted below is a complete guide for all users of Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 who wanted to upgrade to the latest Android 4.2.2 with CM10.1 M3 nightly builds. However, users should also note of the possibility of some minor bug issues to transpire, following the update due to the fact that these are nightly builds. Having this said, we at sebertech should never be held responsible for any issues that may transpire during or after the upgrade process. Also, be sure to verify your tablets meet the prerequisites before you begin installing the latest software update.
Pre-installation requirements to note:
1. USB driver installed for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. This is necessary to connect your tablet to the computer.
2. USB debugging mode on the tablet should be enabled so you can connect it to the computer. Doing so will also allow you to utilize Android SDK with it. Here’s how to enable USB debugging mode on your Galaxy Tab:
a. Press Menu and then go to Settings.
b. Under Settings, locate and select Applications.
c. Locate and click on Development option. This is where you can see if the USB Debugging Mode is turned on or off. If it’s off turn it on, otherwise, leave it as is.
3. Backup all important data. Backing up of important files is a must before commencing the installation process so you can easily recover them later when necessary. Note that there is a possibility of the device’s data to be completely wiped out following this software upgrade process. Using an installed custom recovery like CWM/TWRP (if available) is therefore, highly recommended as it allows you to create a complete image of the existing set-up in your tablet.
4. Secure at least 80 percent of battery to have enough power so as to avoid potential interruptions during the update process. Errors usually occur when software installation is disrupted.
5. Make sure your tablet is factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6. ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery should be installed and rooted in your device.
7. Be sure to have the correct model to upgrade so avoid problems. Remember, this custom build is only compatible with and be used for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 and P3100 models. Hence, better check your device model before you start installing the new software update. Here’s how to verify your device’s model number:
a. Go to Settings menu and then select the About tablet option.
b. Under the About tablet, be sure to see if the ROM is accordingly installed.
If you think you all have secured all the above-mentioned prerequisites, you may now proceed with the installation proper.
Follow these steps to install CM10.1 M3 nightly build Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 or P3100 device
1. You have to download two important files first: a.) CM10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 or P3110, and b.) Google Apps package.
2. After downloading the aforesaid files, connect your tablet to the computer by plugging in the USB cable on both ends.
3. After connecting your tablet to the computer, begin copying both the zip files you downloaded to the SD card of your Galaxy tab. Be sure to place the zip files to the SD card root and not in any other folder to avoid errors.
4. Disconnect your tablet from the computer by unplugging the USB cable.
5. Turn off your tablet.
6. Wait for a few seconds and then boot your Galaxy tab in to Recovery Mode. You can do it by turning your tablet on while pressing and holding the Power button and Volume Down keys simultaneously.
7. Under the CWM Recovery Mode, select wipe data/factory reset to execute a complete data wipe.
8. Select wipe cache partition to perform a cache wipe.
9. After cache wiping, locate and browse from the CWM recovery to advance and then choose wipe Dalvik cache (optional). Although Dalvik Cache Wipe is optional, it is recommended to avoid boot loops on your device or any possible errors.
10. Wait until Dalvik Cache Wipe is completed and then go back to the main recovery menu.
11. Select install zip from SDCard to proceed.
12. Select choose zip from SDCard. Using the Volume keys of your Galaxy tab, navigate to the Jelly Bean ROM zip file that you downloaded and copied to the SD card earlier. To choose the file, use the Power button. The next screen will let you confirm the installation and the installation process should commence this time.
13. Wait until the ROM is completely installed and then repeat steps 11 to 12. But in step 12, you have to locate and install the Google Apps package on the tablet.
14. Wait until the installation of Google Apps package is finished and select Go Back.
15. Select Reboot System Now from the recovery menu to reboot the tablet. It may take a little longer for your tablet to reboot this time, so be patient.
Once it’s booted up, your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100/P3110 should now be running with the latest CM10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software. To verify if your Galaxy Tab is successfully updated, check the Settings and then go to About tablet to see the current version of the software running on it.