We purposely publish this article in respond to one of our readers who relayed this error to us. Here's the original message:
"I can't download or update any of the app from Google Play Store. It's showing rcp s3 error. I have tried to clear the data and cache but did not work. Also I've tried to uninstall update of PlayStore and restart it but this also did not work. I tried to remove Google account and try again adding it again but also didn't work. Please help." - Om C.
So far, there hasn't been a definite fix from Google so you may try any of these workarounds and hopefully, one of them works for you too.
Go to Settings->Apps->Google PlayStore->Force Stop->Clear Data->Open PlayStore->Update.
* Uninstall all updates to Play Services.
* Clear Google Services Framework.
* Wait for Hangouts to request to update Google Play Services.
* Update services
* Go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All
* Google Play Store->Clear data
* Google Service Framework->Clear data
Other methods [shortened]:
* Change primary Google account password
* Force Stop and Clear Cache/Data on Google Services Framework, Play Store and Google Play Store
* wipe cache/Dalvik
* Remove and re-add Google account, then reboot your device
* Uninstall Play Store updates
* Manually install the latest Play Store apk
* Turn off Sync
* Turn Wi-Fi on/off
* Turn Mobile Data on/off
* Flash ROM or Factory reset
Don't forget to reboot your device after performing any of the above methods. Some settings/options may vary depending on your device.
While the main cause of this error is yet to be determined, many have speculated the RPC:S-3 error is triggered by a pushed Play Store update that may have caused some conflicts.